Monday, February 18, 2008

I Love Mountains (COOL Lent: 2008)

5 Minutes of Caring: I Love Mountains

I went to the site linked at the above message (http://ilovemountains.org/myconnection/) to find that at least some of the coal that fuels powerplants in SW Ohio comes from mountain top removal strip mines in West Virginia and Kentucky.

I've seen and read a lot about the dangers of surface mining - the amount of chemicals needed to process the coal is much higher than coal extracted from deep mines. That waste ends up somewhere - most often stored in communities where the poor and vulnerable are threatened by exposure to these chemicals.

A long term solution may be the end of mountain top surface mining but in the near term we can call for better regulations on the disposal of this sort of waste. The "I Love Mountains" site also refers to enforcement of clean water regulations. Everyone deserves clean water and a safe environment.

No comments: